10 Winter Home Security Tips
It certainly has had more of a wintery feel over the last few weeks. The days are getting shorter, the temperature has started to drop and winter is going to hit with a bang this weekend after the clocks go back.
We know when the clocks go back, burglaries tend to rise in Ireland by at least 30%. The last three months and the first three months of the year, always see the highest number of break-ins, as burglars prefer to work under the cover of darkness. With this in mind, we want all HomeSecure customers to stay extra vigilant.
We don’t want you to feel the effects of the clocks going back, so we have compiled 10 home security tips to help you stay secure this winter.
- Always set your alarm whether you’re at home or away
- Unsure whether your set your alarm? Check the status of your alarm on your HomeSecure App
- Keep your doors and windows (including upstairs) locked at all times
- Leave a Leave a light on, and use timer switches or a smart plug when you’re away
- Radio on to make the house seem occupied
- Move your keys away from letterboxes to prevent “fishing”
- Record details of valuables, particularly coming up to Christmas
- Do not keep large amounts of cash in the house and keep jewellery locked away
- Keep ladders and tools locked safely away to prevent burglars from using them
- Never leave a key out under a mat or flowerpot
The Gardaí recently revealed the most common time for break-ins in the winter months is 5pm – 10pm and one in five Irish burglaries are from intruders entering through an unlocked door or window. That’s why it’s vital that you set your alarm even when you’re home. If you do forget to lock your doors or windows at night, once your security system is set, it will activate if someone attempts enters your home. Remember you can always check the status of your alarm on your HomeSecure App.
HomeSecure customers must remain vigilant, you’ve already taken the first step in securing your home with your monitored alarm system, but don’t become complacent or allow your home to become a target.
If you are looking to secure your home this winter with a monitored alarm system call 1800911740.